Cheryl and Wade's super stylish and chic Calgary wedding had so many personal touches, great music, and style for days. Let's hear from the couple about how they planned it, what surprises their ceremony held, and how hard it actually is to make a huge DIYed backdrop. Spolier: NOT easy… but so worth it when you see it…
The whole ceremony was a lot of fun, and I’ll never forget those last moments waiting to enter the ceremony space — and the sweet relief and happiness that came when it was over! Ultimately that’s why we were there. It was a great mix of serious sentiment and levity. We were thrilled and lucky to have had someone we know and respect officiate the ceremony and that reflected us as people and our relationship perfectly. I mean was anyone really that surprised that we had a brief discussion about proper grammar mid-ceremony?
The speeches from our friends and family were wonderful — heartful and hilarious, and better than we could have imagined them to be.
We spent an obscene amount of time planning the music for the wedding, particularly the dance portion. We had a great time picking and organizing the music, and seeing that come to fruition all night was amazing.
To make it simple, our first dance song was “Take Me Out” by The Wooden Sky. It is a song we danced to on the weekend we got engaged. We went out to Ontario to see the band and a friend who was with us at the show got them to play that song at the show and we danced to it. Our first dance as an engaged couple was the same as our first dance as a married couple.
TIP: If you’re interested in making a gigantic backdrop of tiny deli paper cones, be prepared to spend many, many hours cutting, assembling, stringing, and storing cones. And then dreaming of destroying them after it’s all done.
- Photography: Sarah Pukin Photography
- Bride's Getting Ready Location: Hotel Elan, Calgary AB
- Bride's dress designer: Sottero & Midgley, Margot dress
- Dress store: The Bridal Centre
- Shoes: Miu Miu
- Nails: Happy Nails Calgary
- Earrings and necklace: Alexis Bittar
- Rings: Foe & Dear and CoutuKitsch
- Backdrop scarf: Irene Rasetti
- Jacket: Opening Ceremony
- Headpiece: Red Rose Florist
- Bridal party attire: J.Crew
- Hair Stylist: The Pretty Haus; stylist Crystal
- Colour: Julie B. with Hedkandi Salon
- Makeup Artist: The Pretty Haus; artist Jen
- Suit, tie, & groomsmen's attire: Indochino
- Cufflinks: Groom’s own, custom made from commemorative awards given to the father of the groom
- Pocket square: Harry Rosen
- Engagement ring: Imperial Fine Jewellers Ltd.
- Bride’s wedding band: Chuk Kam Fine Jewellery
- Invitation service: AppyCouple
- Ceremony & Reception Location: Festival Hall
- Officiant: Friend of the couple, Greg Clark, MLA for Calgary-Elbow
- Caterer, cake, & cookie bar: Devour Catering
- Bouquets and headpiece: Red Rose Florist
- Centerpieces: CostCo flowers
- Transportation: Lush Limos