My dad passed away when I was two and I've been raised by my incredible mom since then. She's going to be walking me down the aisle, and rather than give me away, she'll accept my future husband into our family.
We're also going to do a mother-daughter dance! I'm usually an absolute wreck during father-daughter dances so we're trying to keep it light and fun. Through all my research, I've yet to find a list of songs for mother-daughter dances. While most of the father-daughter and mother-son songs would work, I'd love to pick your brains to see if you have any recommendations for a less gendered list for those parents who have filled both roles. -Meg
I lost my father, too, and totally know how rad moms can be in all roles…Moms rock! Sometimes folks ask us if there needs to be a mother-daughter song at your wedding, and of course there doesn't NEED to be anything at your wedding… but if you're a bride wondering, “Can I dance with my mom?” the answer is ABSOLUTELY YES.
That said, finding gender-neutral songs isn't easy, but we've got a few ideas for mother daughter songs with great lyrics that to help you celebrate your bond at your wedding reception.
Here are some of our favorite, not-too-mushy, light-hearted, and less-gendered mother-daughter dance songs for your mom-celebrating reception.
Best mother-daughter songs for your sweet-but-not-sappy mother-daughter dance:
(While these are extra relevant to a mother-daughter relationship, they could work for almost any parent-child dances! Warning: some are a little sappy. I couldn't help myself!)
- “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher” by Jackie Wilson
- “Sweet Pea” by Amos Lee
- “I’ll Be There” by The Jackson 5
- “Teach Your Children” by Crosby, Stills, and Nash
- “Wildflowers” by Tom Petty
- “You Make My Dreams” by Hall & Oates
- “American Girl” by Tom Petty
- “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” by Randy Newman
- “Rainbow Connection” OR “Life’s a Happy Song” by The Muppets
- “I Say a Little Prayer (For You)” by Dionne Warwick
- “Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations
- “My Darling” by Wilco
- “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars
- “Child Of Mine” by Carole King
- “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler (I know, but every mom loves Bette!)
- “I Can See Clearly Now” by Johnny Nash
- “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” by Stevie Wonder
- “God Only Knows” by Beach Boys
- “In My Life” by The Beatles
- “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
- “True Colors” by Eva Cassidy
- “Turn, Turn, Turn” by The Byrds (Reminds me of the mom/daughter movie, Stella)
- “Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper
- “Time Warp” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- “Don't You Forget About Me” by Simple Minds
- “You're My Best Friend” by Queen
- “I'll Be There for You” by The Rembrandts (specifically for moms who love Friends?)
- “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers
- “Do You Realize??” by The Flaming Lips
- “With a Little Help From My Friends” by The Beatles
- “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves
- “Call Me” by Blondie (Just to make sure you call her…)
And perhaps the ALL TIME best mother-daughter dance song…?!
- “Thank You for Being a Friend” by Andrew Gold (BECAUSE GOLDEN GIRLS!)
Shout-out to Dorothy and Sophia…
More wedding playlist inspiration:
Your turn! What are your favorite mother-daughter dance songs? Let us know in the comments!